LEGAL ASSISTANCE OF WESTERN NEW YORK, INC.
CHIEF FINANCIAL OFFICER
The Regional office of Legal Assistance of Western New York, Inc. ® (LawNY®) has an immediate opening for a Chief Financial Officer.
LawNY® provides free civil legal help to individuals and families struggling with poverty in a nearly 10,000 square mile 14 county area with an urban center in Rochester and rural counties in western New York, the Finger Lakes and the Southern Tier. We provide services through seven fully staffed offices located in Bath, Elmira, Geneva, Ithaca, Jamestown, Olean and Rochester and we maintain satellite offices in Lakeville and Lyons and a business office in Rochester. Including AmeriCorps paralegals, we presently have approximately 170 staff members.
LawNY® has a revenue side budget of over $18.8 million, with approximately 95 contracts with various federal, state, county and city agencies, as well as area United Ways, foundations and private donations.
General Statement of Responsibilities: Reporting to the Executive Director, the Chief Financial Officer is responsible for overall management of the financial operations of LAWNY. As a senior leader of the organization, it is expected that the CFO will demonstrate the utmost integrity at all times, adhere to the organization policies and policies and procedures and support our mission.
Financial Management and Accounting Duties:
- Oversight of all financial activity of LAWNY.
- Ensure appropriate internal financial controls.
- Supervise and manage work allocation of accounting department staff.
- Ensure appropriate long-term and short-term financial planning for financial stability.
- Prepare financial reports for Executive Director, Office Managers and Finance and Audit Committees of the Board.
- Coordinate audit activities for annual and ERISA audits.
- Prepare annual financial statements for auditors.
- Remain up to date on non-profit audit best practices and state/federal law regarding non-profit regulations.
- Assist auditors with preparation of annual Form 990 and CHAR500.
- Preparation of Form 5500 for Welfare Benefit, Tax Deferred Annuity and 401a Profit Sharing plans.
- Develop office location budgets that reflect the organizational mission and program priorities.
- Assist in the preparation of funding proposals and fiscal reporting.
- Review and preparation of vouchers and journal entries for 90+ funding sources.
- Assist office managers with the preparation of staff/grant allocations.
- Oversight of accounting functions including General Ledger, Accounts Receivable, Accounts Payable and Payroll.
- Monitor cash flow, program and division budgets.
- Ensure the accounting manual is up to date with current policies and procedures.
- Maintain accounting and payroll records in a secure manner.
- Dependability, initiative, motivation and concern for the interests of our clients.
- A genuine interest in the mission of LawNY.
- Must have a degree in the appropriate field and five years of progressively responsible work experience with comparable responsibilities, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Familiarity with not-for-profit accounting and reporting requirements and general understanding of local, state and federal regulations and guidelines including 2 CFR Part 200, Uniform Administrative Requirements, Cost Principles and Audit Requirements for Federal Awards.
- Experience working with external auditors, compliance and regulatory oversight.
- High degree of computer proficiency including Microsoft Word, Excel, and G-Suite.
- Familiarity with MIP software is a plus.
- Excellent organization skills.
- Ability to work both independently and as a part of a team.
- Good judgment and analytical skills.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and prioritize workload.
Salary and Benefits: Salary is dependent on experience and based on a pay scale with annual increments. The salary for a person who is credited with ten years of experience is $87,400. LawNY® provides an excellent package of fringe benefits including:
We provide a superlative package of fringe benefits including:
- 94% employer paid health insurance, with significant HSA contributions to offset high deduction plans
- 100% employer paid dental and disability insurance
- $50,000 automatic life insurance
- Remote Work Policy: New staff are able to work from home up to 3 days per week during their 6 month probationary period with manager approval. This increases to 5 days per week once successfully finished with a probationary period with manager approval.
- LawNY is committed to providing a work-life balance to their employees. We encourage and support a 35 hour work week to ensure our employees have this balance.
We also provide a very generous leave package including four weeks of vacation,12 sick days, 5 personal days and 20 days of new parent leave in your first year of employment.
To Apply: To ensure full consideration applicants should submit a cover letter describing qualifications, resume, and the name and contact information of three references to the attention of our Chief Financial Officer, Kathy Howard by October 30, 2022 through our application platform, BambooHR. Applications will be accepted beyond that date until the position is filled.
Legal Assistance of Western New York, Inc.® (LawNY®) is an equal opportunity employer. LawNY® encourages applications from diverse candidates. LawNY® welcomes applications regardless of race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy, national origin, age, disability, genetic information or any other consideration protected by law.
This position is considered Exempt pursuant to the Fair Labor Standards Act.